Sunday, January 21, 2007

Another snowy morning


I must be getting used to living in the great white north, as this morning after taking Suki out for her morning walk I told my husband, "It's not cold at all out, must be about 20."

I did complain that the new snow another 5inches brought the snow over my boots and into them as I walked Suki and she went off the sidewalks. I wasn't wearing socks.

So after some coffee and taking some pictures of the beautiful snow I decided to make granola again. The last batch was a disaster, the wheat germ burnt and tasted nasty.

Here is the new recipe
I have cooking in the oven:
Agape's Granola presented by Agape Bed & Breakfast
(Graciously given to us by our good friends, Mark & Monica)

In a large bowl, combine:
6 cups of whole oats
1 cup unsweetened coconut
2 cups of oat bran or wheat germ
1 cup of sunflower seeds
1 cup raisins

In a separate bowl combine:
1/2 cup of water
1 cup canola oil
1 cup maple syrup (or honey for variety)
2 teaspoons vanilla (pure)
1 teaspoon salt

"Lump" the two above mixtures together, and spread thinly onto cookie sheets. Bake in a preheated 250 degree oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

As for my ear...
Well lets say it has not been fun. Turns out I had an allergic reaction to the ear drops and my ear canal swelled shut. After hydrocortizone, more ear drops and antibiotics here I am a few days later, no pain, not much swelling but still can only hear a little bit out of that ear. I am feeling human again so I hope that helps me be a better parent.

I went to my ceramics class and it is going to be great. I hope to learn everything about wood kilns and the pots it produces are beautiful. I am going to be making a series of cannisters that are inspired by grain bins and silos that I have seen in the county.

I start my actual work this week if my kids and ear behave well. I am supposed to prove that I have had two MMR shots however and I have no idea where my immunization records are. I haven't needed them since I was a kid, and since they were giving to me I have moved about seven times. Who knows where they are and I really do not WANT more MMR in my body. Plus it would cost a ton to get the shots again. So I hope to search the old Scatterville when we are there next weekend.

Hope everyone has a nice warm weekend!

1 comment:

Tara said...

LOL, it is not quite so snowy here (only 3 inches on top of the sleet from last week) but I found myself thinking "You know, as long as it is at least 30 outside, it really doesn't feel that cold."

It seems like I needed a new immunization record about 10 years ago and we contacted the state health department for the state I got vaccinated in last? I looked online and found this:

Q: I need to find my immunization records and am unable to locate my physician. What should I do?

A: Even if your physician moved, retired, or died, his/her estate has an obligation to retain your records, including immunization records, for a period defined by federal and state law. Often this retention period is 10 years following your last visit (or until a child/ patient is 21). You may be able to locate your records by contacting:

Your physician's partners
The health information manager at a nearby hospital where the physician practiced
The local medical society
The state medical association
The state department of health
If your efforts are unsuccessful, you may have to be re-immunized.

Good luck, I would not want another MMR shot either. Bah.