Thursday, August 18, 2011

Oops I started demo on two bathrooms

Really I didn't mean to.


I just wanted to caulk the shower doors because water was leaking out of them. I noticed that the wall looked wet. I explored them and they were, very wet. So I quickly cut off all the wet drywall, then noticed the water had gone down to the floor. We knew from last weeks adventure of uncovering the wood floors that were probably wood floors under this cheap laminate so I pull up the first board.



The floors were still good, but the laminate was very wet with mold starting to form underneath it. This was when I called for back up. My husband came in said to pull it up. We got up the area around the shower but left it under the toilet and sink. I'm not ready for that kind of work yet, I'm still trying to get rid of the salmon color!


Fast forward a few days. I got the shower downstairs caulked and ready to use so I moved upstairs as I noticed they did a bad job caulking those tub doors and it was leaking too. Unfortunately it was worse. Much worse. I got to cutting off the drywall after heading to the store for a respirator. I got all the wet drywall off and found they tiled over drywall, and some of it was wet.


So the problem is what do we do? We know that the tile and the wet drywall has to go. So we need a new surround. Do we do the easy route and buy a surround kit? We've never gone the easy route before.


Do we buy a new tub? This one is rusted. If we have the whole thing out why not do the floors which have a 1 inch layer of build up on them. If we do the floors what would we use and will it tie in with the rest of the upstairs.



What do we do with this? I can see it getting water damage and needing to pull it down later if we keep it. It was painted shut when we moved it. I have since unstuck it but have no idea what I would keep in it.

So as you can see we have a lot to think about this weekend. By the Way my Love started his new job with an orientation all week this week and next week starts full time. This was NOT in the plan.




No comments: